Skip to main content

Featured

Main Character August

For the month of August, I am planning on romanticizing/main charactering every aspect of my daily life. Instead of letting imposter syndrome settle in, I'm going to wear the clothes I want, eat the things I want, fully immerse myself in my chores and homemaking. I am going to unplug from the machine that tells me what my life *should* look like. Instead, I'm going with what I want it to look like.  I've always dreamed of a Practical Magic, Outlander, Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, Boxcar Children lifestyle. The aesthetic of those have always been my vibe, which I guess is really just cottagecore. I have always envisioned it where I am wearing neutral/jewel-toned linen and wool fabrics, carrying a handbasket instead of a purse, knitting all my own socks, gloves, shawls and hats. Serving a delicious lunch of homemade vegetable soup with chicken that I raised in a nice warm stoneware bowl, as I put a piece of my fresh, warm, made from scratch bread on the

Chores and Children

Let’s talk chores and children.

One of the biggest parts of farm life is the never ending list of chores. And when you have kids on the farm you are constantly hearing “Mommy, Mom, Mama...” or some variation if it. So how do you navigate both of these paths while raising future functioning adults who can manage their lives?

The biggest win I have found is engaging them with me when it comes to all that I do. Keeping it interactive and age appropriate on what I ask of them with each task is so vital. For example- we have to move the hay ring to occasionally clean up the yucky hay underneath. This helps keep flies down, prevents snakes from burrowing in, and overall just looks better. So the kids obviously are not big enough to lift it themselves, but they are big enough to roll it out of the way. They love helping roll a giant hoop because it’s fun! And I can stand back and make sure they are safe. 


© Charlotte Hertlein 2020


Chores are an essential part of everyone’s life. We truly believe by teaching them, showing them and helping them with them that we are building a better foundation for their future. Especially with breaks built in, songs being sung and lots of belly laughs.

Around the farm the chores vary by safety and age level. Both kids can safely and easily clean out water tanks and feed buckets. (Both of which are extremely vital to animal health.) But they both can’t cut the twine in the hay bales. To keep everyone engaged, we find ways to make it a family affair. Maybe the one who isn’t able to use a knife quite yet is able to hold the gate open for the tractor. Ultimately it is all about having fun, growing the farm and keeping everyone safe.

Because what’s the point in life if you don’t create a little magic!

Comments

Popular Posts