Skip to main content

Featured

Main Character August

For the month of August, I am planning on romanticizing/main charactering every aspect of my daily life. Instead of letting imposter syndrome settle in, I'm going to wear the clothes I want, eat the things I want, fully immerse myself in my chores and homemaking. I am going to unplug from the machine that tells me what my life *should* look like. Instead, I'm going with what I want it to look like.  I've always dreamed of a Practical Magic, Outlander, Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, Boxcar Children lifestyle. The aesthetic of those have always been my vibe, which I guess is really just cottagecore. I have always envisioned it where I am wearing neutral/jewel-toned linen and wool fabrics, carrying a handbasket instead of a purse, knitting all my own socks, gloves, shawls and hats. Serving a delicious lunch of homemade vegetable soup with chicken that I raised in a nice warm stoneware bowl, as I put a piece of my fresh, warm, made from scratch bread on the

Review: Start Your Farm: The Authoritative Guide to Becoming A Sustainable 21st-Century Farmer

 As part of my goals for the remainder of this year, I told myself I would dedicate a minimum of an hour at work to reading about anything related to farming/living off the land/sustainability. With the goal of a five year of being able to thrive off of what the farm and my hobbies provide, I set myself on a path to making sure I was armed with enough knowledge to have a bit more than basic understand of what I'm getting into.

I don't want to go into this half planned- there will be enough curve balls having the knowledge as it is.

So I have a stack of books that I've been working through. Everything from specific farm information on horses, cattle and other livestock to general farm books. Very few are written from or for a woman specifically but I'd love to find more of those. The one I just finished was written by two authors, one woman and one male.

 

© Charlotte Hertlein 2020

Start Your Farm: The Authoritative Guide to Becoming a Sustainable 21st- Century Famer by Forrest Pritchard and Ellen Polishuk was extremely informative with lots of personal stories. While it seemed like it took me forever to read I did finally manage to get through it. This book challenged me in a variety of ways- patience, intelligence and in my own critical thinking. Like with any book there are things I absolutely loved, things that were neutral in emotions, and things that frustrated me.

MY RAVS:
> I loved how this book was written with each contributor authoring chapters based on their expertise and personal experience. Knowing that they had practiced what they were writing really put weight into their worlds.

>Very thoroughly written (sometimes too well!). You cannot hide the fact that either author is extremely intelligent, well spoken and well written. This challenged me in more ways than one! My personal copy is all marked on. Quotes underlined, highlighted, and definitions of words written in the margins.

> It truly covers every aspect of starting a farm from the ground up. Giving you things to consider, paths to take, how to cover employees, and so much more. It would take me writing a novel to explain the vastness of this book.

> Each chapter ends with a few questions reflecting on what you just read, how it can impact your farm, and where you can find your strengths and weaknesses.

© Charlotte Hertlein 2020

MY NAYS:
> The authors almost had me talked out of getting a farm up and going before they announced that wasn't their intention. It's extensive and almost overwhelming at times, though practical, to know everything that can go wrong.

> Sometimes I spent more time looking up words than reading the book. Which is great for my brain, but also made it so much longer to read.

Overall this book has been a trove of priceless information. With topics ranging from knowing what kind of soil you have to insurance and on to setting up ways to sell your products, I truly believe this earns this book as a place in your personal library. Snuggled in next to your favorite books on farm life, cookbooks, foraging, herbal remedies and (in my case) knitting/crochet pattern books.

Find this book at these place:
Thrift Books
Ebay
Chirp Books

Comments

Popular Posts