Skip to main content

Featured

Main Character August

For the month of August, I am planning on romanticizing/main charactering every aspect of my daily life. Instead of letting imposter syndrome settle in, I'm going to wear the clothes I want, eat the things I want, fully immerse myself in my chores and homemaking. I am going to unplug from the machine that tells me what my life *should* look like. Instead, I'm going with what I want it to look like.  I've always dreamed of a Practical Magic, Outlander, Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, Boxcar Children lifestyle. The aesthetic of those have always been my vibe, which I guess is really just cottagecore. I have always envisioned it where I am wearing neutral/jewel-toned linen and wool fabrics, carrying a handbasket instead of a purse, knitting all my own socks, gloves, shawls and hats. Serving a delicious lunch of homemade vegetable soup with chicken that I raised in a nice warm stoneware bowl, as I put a piece of my fresh, warm, made from scratch bread on the

Fixin' Fences and Deer Season

It’s officially hunting season in this part of Missouri. I know some will say it’s been hunting season for weeks now. I know bow season has been going strong for some time now. Though, we don’t really count it until the deer start busting electric fences. That doesn’t usually happen until after early youth season.

Early youth season was this last weekend. Now it’s officially hunting season. The time of year where everyone runs down here to hunt and instead doesn’t realize the implications of their presence.

No, this isn’t some crazy gal who says you can’t hunt or eat animals. Matter of fact, they are a vital part of my family’s food habits. We’re a family of hunters... well except maybe Princess Pea. She’s lethal with a gun, just not much in to the killing part. (Though she doesn’t mind the cleaning and processing.)

So why my rant? It’s very frustrating when you spend day in and day out in the woods, on horseback, in your pasture and have become part of the system to find people flock in from all over and disrupt that. It’s even more frustrating when you end up fixing fences every damn day because another deer has taken to running from a hunter. It’s bad enough the bucks are causing the does to be silly and forget where that fence they’ve cleared just fine all year is.


© Charlotte Hertlein 2020


So again, for the second day in a row... I’ve been fixing fences. After listening to the coyotes howl all night at the wounded deer...

And hoping that we can find a better way as humans to be sustainable hunters.


Comments

Popular Posts